- ASVO ‘Vineyard Longevity’ Seminar – Mildura
- AGWA latest research outcomes
- ABARES Regional Outlook Conferences 2015
- Biosecurity Farmer of Year Award – Now Open!
- News from Small Business Commissioner
- WID 2015 – Now Available!
- Sustainable Viticulture Conference – South Africa
- Launch of WineVine TV
ASVO ‘ Vineyard Longevity’ seminar – Mildura
The Australian Society of Viticulture and Oenology (ASVO) will be running its annual viticulture seminar on the 22-23 July 2015 at the Mildura Art Centre in Mildura, Victoria.
This year’s theme is ‘Vineyard Longevity – maintaining the asset’ and will address the need to increase productivity while protecting and enhancing the longevity of Australia’s vineyards.
Keynote speakers include:
- Dr Kendra Baumgartner, grapevine pathologist with USDA, who will discuss her research program in sustainable viticulture.
- Dr Vaughn Bell, New Zealand Institute for Plant and Food Research Limited, who will share profit-maximising disease control strategies that have been developed for vineyard managers.
To learn more visit the ASVO Seminar website
AGWA Research Outcomes
The following research outcomes recently released by the Australian Grape and Wine Authority (AGWA) may be of interest to growers:
- Benefits and costs of alternative viticulture (Apr 2015)
- Plant Growth Regulators (PGRs) offer potential to control ripening (Apr 2015)
- Relative sustainability of organic, biodynamic and conventional viticulture (Feb 2015)
- Assessment of Fungal Rots of Grapes and their impacts on Wine Quality (Oct 2014)
Visit the AGWA website for more RD&E news.
ABARES Regional Outlook Conferences 2015
The Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES) recently announced its Regional Outlook Conference calendar for 2015:
|Coffs Harbour||NSW||28 October|
For full details visit the ABARES website
Plant Biosecurity Farmer of Year Award – Now Open!
Nominations are now open for the 2015 Plant Biosecurity Farmer of the Year Award.
Part of the Australian Farmer of the Year Awards, this category recognises farmers and farming families who are focused on the biosecurity of their farming enterprise. Nominees must demonstrate initiative and motivation in addressing the potential risks of diseases, pests and weeds to their business and their livelihood.
Finalists will attend the award ceremony on 9 September 2015 at The Intercontinental in Sydney, New South Wales.
Nominations close 26 June 2015.
News from the Small Business Commissioner
The Office of the Australian Small Business Commissioner’s recent eNewsletter provided several business articles that may be of interest:
- Learn online for free – there are numerous online courses available to those who want to improve their business skills but don’t have the time of money to do so. Learn more here…
- Money management help – the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) have launched Be MoneySmart: a free online training resource to help aspiring small business owners develop their life-long money management skills. Learn more here…
- Protect your goods – does your business buy second-hand items, such as vehicles, equipment or machinery? Before you buy check the Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) to make sure they’re debt free and safe from repossession. Learn more here…
Visit the ASBC website to sign up to receive their eNewsletter direct.
Wine Industry Directory 2015 – Now Available!
Winetitles have released the new 2015 Australian and New Zealand Wine Industry Directory (WID).
The WID is a comprehensive wine industry resource, available in a single publication. It can be purchased in hard copy through the Winetitles Bookstore and is also available online via a searchable database.
The 2015 edition includes 103 new Australian wine producers, lists over 2,400 Australian companies who commercially sell wine, and now contains a list of key industry wine bloggers.
‘Winery 2015’ Sustainable Viticulture Conference – South Africa
The 7th IWA Specialised Conference on Sustainable Viticulture, Winery Waste and Agri-Industrial Wastewater Management will be held from 1 – 5 November 2015 in Stellenbosch, South Africa.
This bi-annual event is hosted by the International Water Association (IWA) and has been running since 1998, held in various winemaking locations around the world.
The ‘Winery 2015’ program will provide a balance between original research and commercial applications of scientific research as well as topics/issues with generic appeal, including sustainable viticulture and oenology, irrigation with wastewater and aerobic and anaerobic treatment processes to name a few. The program also includes a technical tour.
Registrations open in May with early prices available until September 2015.
Visit the Winery 2015 website for further details.
Launch of WineVine TV
An online digital tv channel dedicated to all things wine has recently been launched.
www.winevine.tv offers the global wine community a place to view, discover and enjoy a blend of knowledge, information and entertainment, delivered by a collection of internal expert hosts.
It is designed to include every aspect of wine enjoyment, delivering expert opinion and commentary to consumers on all wine matters ranging from varietals to vintages, grape growth to winemaking, and retail to consumption.
Visit www.winevine.tv for more information.